Even though it comes around at the same time each year, somehow it snuck up on us. What were we going to do? How would we celebrate? We thought about brunch, but knew everyone and their mom would go out to breakfast, literally. So, we decided to host an intimate brunch at home. The menu, crepes. The guests, our moms. I don’t know why, but Mother’s Day is always tough to plan. We wanted to do something special, but not have it turn into too much work. Crepes seemed like the perfect dish. Crepes are like pancakes, but a little fancier because they’re French. Perfect for a Mother’s Day brunch. Our moms have very different personalities and tastes; so having two options seemed like a good idea. The first crepe we decided to make was sweet with a blackberry mint compote and the second option was savory with smoked salmon and asparagus.
Every good crepe recipe starts with the batter. We used buckwheat flour in our batter, which gave the base a stronger, earthy flavor, but the two topping options would go just as well with traditional wheat based recipes. The portions below make about 10 crepes.
Ingredients for the batter:
¾ cups of buckwheat flour
¼ teaspoons salt
1 cup of milk (use almond/rice/coconut milk to make the recipe dairy free)
1. Whisk all of the ingredients together in a large mixing bowl. The consistency of the batter should be pretty runny.
2. Heat a 6” to 8” round skillet to medium low heat and add just enough butter or coconut oil to coat the bottom of the pan.
3. Pour about 3 tablespoons of batter in the center of the pan and then rotating the pan, swirl the batter so that it is evenly distributed on the bottom.
4. Cook for a couple of minutes until the sides of the crêpe begin to pull away from the pan.
5. Using a spatula, carefully get underneath the crêpe and flip. Cook until batter is cooked all the way through (between 30 seconds and 1 minute or so).
The great thing about crepes is that once you have the base the toppings can be as varied as you’d like.
Ingredients for the blackberry mint compote:
1 pint of blackberries
12 leaves of fresh mint
1 tablespoon of honey
1 tablespoon of water
¼ teaspoon of salt
1. Combine all oft the ingredients to a small saucepan and cover.
2. Heat on medium until the berries are softened, about 6 minutes.
3. When ready to serve, take a crepe and fold it in half and in half again.
4. Add 2 tablespoons of blackberry compote on top of the crepe.
5. Add powdered sugar if desired.
Ingredients for the salmon, asparagus filing:
¼ pound of asparagus
2 tablespoons of olive oil
2 sprigs of dill for garnish
1. Trim the ends off of the asparagus and cut into inch pieces.
2. Toss the asparagus in olive oil and salt and pepper to taste.
3. Take one crepe and add 2 tablespoons of crème fraiche to the center.
4. Add a couple of strips of smoked salmon and a handful of asparagus pieces.
5. Fold the sides of the crepe to make a square with the center open.
6. Add some fresh dill and serve.
Feel free to experiment with the toppings. Some common options include fruit compotes, jam, whipped cream and nut butters or do you dare go outside the box with more exotic toppings like kimchi or shrimp.
The beauty of cooking crepes is even when you mess one up, it still tastes good!